I wanted to share my self care list I pull out around the holidays. Feel free to take any idea and try it for yourself.
Self Care Actions
Take a power nap or two.
- Work out more in order to balance the extra caloric intake.
- Take a long bath.
- Listen to my favorite music.
- Sneak away for a matinee.
- Call and chat with my favorite people .
- Take time off from work.
- List out all of the good things in my life.
- Re-read a favorite book.
- Make people laugh.
- Start laughing for no reason. It usually makes me laugh.
- Go to the holiday parties you want to and decline the parties I do not wish to attend.
- Do deep belly breathing.
- Adopt a family in need.
- Donate to Arc or Goodwill.
- Buy myself a gift.
- Get a massage.
- Send holiday cards.
- Stretch or do yoga. I stretch, who’s kidding?
- Tell loved ones why I appreciate them.
- I NEVER shop Black Friday.
Self Care Thoughts.
Saying no to others is saying yes to me. (Thank you Willam Ury- The Power of No.)
- I focus my thoughts on favorite holidays memories and intentionally stop thinking about mishaps or sad ones.
- I remind myself that holidays are stressful for many people and I am not alone.
- I tell my self, “Are you using your self care list?”
- I try and remember to stay present. I say “Wise mind.” (Thank you Dialectical Behavioral Therapy- DBT.)
- I remind myself how far I have come.
- I think of all the people that love me and I love.
- I say the Serenity Prayer. (Thank you ACOA. Sub-group of AA.)
- I use the Four Agreements. (Thank you don Miguel Ruiz.)
I hope you all have a workable, to content to happy holiday season!